You are here:   Articles

Articles Lodging on the Santa Fe River, Alachua County, Florida

Minimize

End of Summer at the Santa Fe River
November 8, 2010
            From October 2, when I arrived by train from Spokane, until November 2, we had nothing but glorious days. No rain. Not one drop of rain. No clouds. Not one cloud. After three weeks of this Los Angeles like weather, finally I began working on the inside of the Gainesville house. Day after day of 80 degrees, cool, breezy mornings and evenings, and scorchingly hot unabated sun in the afternoons could not last, but alas, one must tidy the house. I feel like an ant or a muskrat or beaver working away in the depths of my chambers: moving this bit of sand or this stick isn't much different from dusting and sweeping and rearranging furniture.
            I arrived election night and listened to the Republicans "shellacking" the Obama regime. I turned off the radio before hearing that Scott is now governor of Florida. The nights were still warm those few days ago, so I opened the futon and slept on the porch overlooking the river.
            I'd worked hard the days before coming to the river, so my sleep under the stars with no moon was deep and restfull. So tired was I that after my morning swim I scarcely did anything beyond listening to the Obama speech from the rocking chair sitting in the sunny corner of the living room.
            Life goes on, of course, whether we have Reppublicans, Democrats, Hitler, or Jesus ruling us. At least, here in the US we only vote people out of office and do not behead them or put them in front of a firing squad...at least not yet, or not now.

I did go to sit on the rock beside the Ichetucknee the night after the election. It's that time of year when the sun's glare on the rippling silver water blinds me. I can't understand what atmospheric differences create that light, but it's true and characteristic. Sun glassses don't help clarify, they only take away the glare. I come to appreciate the dazzling light, to accept it. What I'm taking in does not change much from year to year, although the seasons change it all. When I swim with mask and snorkel, flippers upriver these days, I'm pleased to see green plants again under water; they are like sea maiden's hair filling different heads and hiding fish in them like flowers that ornament a Hawaiian girls luxuriant hair. I thought we'd lost those plants forever, but see...Nature renews itself.
            I took the  trouble again to unlock the hydrobikes and mount one with my wine glass in hand at sunset. Leathergy, inertia, or boredom has kept me from this joy for months. Now that I have my river back to myself, maybe that's why I'm energized again. The dogs join me on the Columbia county bank, galantly tackle the swim across the confluence of the Santa Fe and Ichetucknee rivers, and romp downriver along the Suwannee County shore. We come to the spring there on the Gilchrist county side and see a toddler hand in hand with his...looks like dad, but find out it's granddad who built that house above the spring. "Pumps more water out when water's low," the owner/grandparent tells me.
            Water sure is low in the Santa Fe, and clear. So clear I can see the big bass chasing the fingerlings, and their shadows on the sandy river bottom.

These don't change year after year, season after season.

I'm sitting in the rocking chair on the porch with John Cheever's stories completely distracted by the migrating birds and domestic cardinals in the maples. The leaves are stil green. Tiny yellow/green finches peck at miniscule insects; they are a flock. Another gray bird with a crest, some kind of tohee or nuthatch? mingle among the branches, giving me one eye from time to time. Familiar brilliant scarlet cardinals and their rust colored mates and fledglings coexist with the transients. This is the season for it.

What finally does change though is the weather. From the night I arrive at the riverhouse, the skies are mostly cloudy. Only briefly does the sun break through, but it's still warm. Then the second night I'm sleeping on the porch, the rain comes...the last rain of summer. Rain pelts the metal roof. The dog dish has a forth inch of water in it the morning after the rain. The big rain comes the day I invite Inge and her daughter's family out for dinner. I've been planning it for a year, and we've had perfect weather for a month, but the day they come it's tornado warnings and a torrential rainstorm in the middle of the day.
            Sakes, it's only weather. Anyway we survey the confluence, investigate the dens of animals under the limerock. Gray weather makes this post Halloween venture seem scaary with the gnarly black roots twisting through the rocky landscape and the animals living beneath mysterious. Little Lena is only five, but she is not daunted by the misty rain nor the rocky landscape. She eagerly jumps from rock to rock, "Look Mommy there's a fish" and hops on the hydrobike as a passenger as the parents float down the river.

I'm prepared that the front bringing rain also brings the end to summer temperatures. I close down the screened room with blinds and shutters, snuggle under the quilt, even pull on socks and a stocking cap to preserve my body heat during the first long, cold night in this heatless house. In the morning, I wait until golden light has reached the tops of the trees before tenderly stepping into the 30 degree morning air.

Like the sweep the Republicans made through the House of Congress, so the rain swept away traces of warmth and gray clouds. "The people have spoken," I hear the victors brag. So now those who could say only "no" have their chance to see what they can do about our lagging economy, the war, the deficit...and soon we'll see the results.
            Meanwhile, I pull the kayak to the headsprings, launch it, float down amid the verdant grasses so clearly apparant in the undisturbed spring waters. I pass as well flocks of ducks quacking their disapproval of my intervention into their homeland, a triad of white herons, solitary blue ones with their 8 foot wing spans allowing them to circle and circle above me, coots in clusters, and I pass only two kayakers struggling against the current. The river is mine again.

I load the new red Toyota for the trip home, but then I do take that late afternoon swim in the cool waters of the Ichetucknee...and linger...linger so long that it's not worth leaving. It's the second day of winter; summer's over here. I gather what limbs have fallen for a fire beside the river, heat my dinner and bring it down to the fire. It's going to be a long cold night in this heatless home. I think of all those mamals who endure long cold winters and wonder how they do it.

Post Rating

Comments

bolso grande zara ante negro de segunda mano por 19 en madrid en
Saturday, November 2, 2019 3:30 AM
left foot a moderate level of over pronationcobre leito colcha kids 170 fios carros 2p s comprar no32 70 a b c d cup seamless push up classic simple comfortable t shirt bra thinsanda y geox d sand. a black sanda y
bolso grande zara ante negro de segunda mano por 19 en madrid en http://www.lanapovzikov.com/geismar/bolso-grande-zara-ante-negro-de-segunda-mano-por-19-en-madrid-en
robinjack
# robinjack
Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:08 PM
Aw, this is an incredibly nice post. In thought I would like to put in place writing like this moreover – spending time and actual effort to create a good article… but exactly what do I say… I procrastinate alot through no indicates seem to get something accomplished. 우리카지노
smith
# smith
Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:55 AM
When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox now each time a comment is added I am four emails using the same comment. Perhaps there is any way you are able to eliminate me from that service? Thanks! betjuego
robinjack
# robinjack
Friday, November 22, 2019 9:03 PM
Howdy! Pleasant post! If you don"t mind let us know when I will see a postliminary! best High authority backlinks
karrel688
# karrel688
Thursday, November 28, 2019 12:06 PM
I adore this site!! The blaze up the top is great!! Crawley Accountants
eliza
# eliza
Friday, November 29, 2019 2:20 PM
Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the pictures on this blog loading? I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. freespins
karrel688
# karrel688
Saturday, November 30, 2019 11:53 AM
i truly like this article please keep it up. Accountants Crawley
mickey mouse doll
Monday, December 2, 2019 9:24 AM
Vinyl Toys Soft Plastic Barbie Doll 3-3.5 Surprise Doll Single Doll 2 Accessories Card
karrel688
# karrel688
Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:59 PM
Much obliged to you for such an elegantly composed article. It"s brimming with quick data and captivating depictions. Your perspective is the best among numerous. Forest Row Accountants
goyard handbags
Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:32 PM
It抯 exhausting to seek out knowledgeable folks on this subject, however you sound like you understand what you抮e speaking about! Thanks
sanei sonic plush
Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:22 AM
Educational Puzzle DIY Jigsaw Toys 62PCS dinosaur puzzle
karrel688
# karrel688
Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:06 AM
Much thanks for this valuable article. I like it. Capital Gains Tax Advice
smith
# smith
Thursday, December 5, 2019 12:00 PM
hi good page i will definaely come back and see again. 18bet
192.168.1.1
Friday, December 6, 2019 8:12 AM
Internet is now a big part of our daily life, we use internet via smartphone, computer, laptop, tablet... to connect with people around the world, every public information database, you may interested in 192.168.1.1
karrel688
# karrel688
Monday, December 9, 2019 12:10 PM
I've been hunting down some respectable stuff on the subject and haven't had any fortunes up until this point, You just got another greatest fan!.. Property Tax Advisor
转讻砖讬讟讬 讬讛诇讜诐 讟讘注讜转 讗讬专讜住讬谉 注讙讬诇讬诐 转诇讬讜谞讬诐 爪诪讬讚讬诐 讟讜驻 讚讬讝讬讬谉
Monday, December 9, 2019 7:29 PM
glad h忙ngende snemand med sk酶nt glimmer nostalgisk julepyntbillig vila bukser til kvinder p氓 udsalgimsevimse 酶kologiske vaskeklude forrestpierre original computer backpack
转讻砖讬讟讬 讬讛诇讜诐 讟讘注讜转 讗讬专讜住讬谉 注讙讬诇讬诐 转诇讬讜谞讬诐 爪诪讬讚讬诐 讟讜驻 讚讬讝讬讬谉 http://www.konkur98.com/shorewood/%d7%aa%d7%9b%d7%a9%d7%99%d7%98%d7%99-%d7%99%d7%94%d7%9c%d7%95%d7%9d-%d7%98%d7%91%d7%a2%d7%95%d7%aa-%d7%90%d7%99%d7%a8%d7%95%d7%a1%d7%99%d7%9f-%d7%a2%d7%92%d7%99%d7%9c%d7%99%d7%9d-%d7%aa%d7%9c%d7%99%d7%95%d7%a0%d7%99%d7%9d-%d7%a6%d7%9e%d7%99%d7%93%d7%99%d7%9d-%d7%98%d7%95%d7%a4-%d7%93%d7%99%d7%96%d7%99%d7%99%d7%9f
auriculares sony color verde auriculares en mercado libre
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:33 AM
hey alyssa here im super carolina hurricanesmontreal canadiens cap flat brim ccm snapback original six black hat nhlpittsburgh penguins 54 size jersey nhl fan apparelwashington capitals jersey size 2xl nhl fan apparel
auriculares sony color verde auriculares en mercado libre http://www.flsdrecertification.com/thermalito/auriculares-sony-color-verde-auriculares-en-mercado-libre
讘讞讜专讜转 讘讘讙讚 讬诐 讞讜讟讬谞讬 razili
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 6:40 PM
scott pullover f眉r damen online kaufen bei bergzeitkinder damenschuhe online kaufen neue kollektion999 goldpreis 24 karat ankaufg眉nstiger reebok damen herren pump supreme jaqtap turnschuhe
讘讞讜专讜转 讘讘讙讚 讬诐 讞讜讟讬谞讬 razili http://www.bossphim.com/angosto/%d7%91%d7%97%d7%95%d7%a8%d7%95%d7%aa-%d7%91%d7%91%d7%92%d7%93-%d7%99%d7%9d-%d7%97%d7%95%d7%98%d7%99%d7%a0%d7%99-razili
讘讙讚讬 讬诐 拽谞讬讬讛 讘讗讬谞讟专谞讟 castro
Friday, December 13, 2019 9:13 PM
b忙lte i elastik kingslandbabydan tarok sengewiki vintage brazilian bikini sortt酶jbutik gistrup firmaer
讘讙讚讬 讬诐 拽谞讬讬讛 讘讗讬谞讟专谞讟 castro http://www.nhacvang24.com/kekoskee/%d7%91%d7%92%d7%93%d7%99-%d7%99%d7%9d-%d7%a7%d7%a0%d7%99%d7%99%d7%94-%d7%91%d7%90%d7%99%d7%a0%d7%98%d7%a8%d7%a0%d7%98-castro
cabide pendura tudo compre na loja oz showdicas
Tuesday, December 24, 2019 7:53 AM
lux fundas phone cover for samsung galaxy a8coque versace iphone 6 iphone 6coque pour smartphone galaxy a3 transparentr茅sultats de recherche pour coque huawei ascend twenga
cabide pendura tudo compre na loja oz showdicas http://www.drniknamh.com/whiterock/cabide-pendura-tudo-compre-na-loja-oz-showdicas
karrel688
# karrel688
Saturday, December 28, 2019 9:33 AM
Exceptionally helpful post. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a variety of fascinating stuff in your web journal particularly its exchange. Truly its extraordinary article. Keep it up. Self Assessment Tax Return Accountants
Sunday, December 29, 2019 1:28 AM
tommy hilfiger womens metallic striped v neck sweatertommy hilfiger water beach pool shoes light blueprps barracuda relaxed fittommy girl summer 3.4 ounce womens eau de cologne spray
venus plus size fringe detail romper jumpsuits rompers neutral from venus shapeshop http://www.thenewstwo.com/thurmont/venus-plus-size-fringe-detail-romper-jumpsuits-rompers-neutral-from-venus-shapeshop
karrel688
# karrel688
Sunday, December 29, 2019 12:05 PM
Awesome post I might want to thank you for the endeavors you have made in composing this fascinating and learned article. Self Assessment Tax Return Accounts
robinjack
# robinjack
Monday, December 30, 2019 6:43 AM
very nice publish, i certainly love this web site, carry on it submit guest post
cheap jordan shoes
Tuesday, December 31, 2019 1:09 AM
I not to mention my pals appeared to be reading through the great solutions from your web blog and so the sudden I got a horrible suspicion I never expressed respect to the website owner for them. Those people became absolutely happy to see all of them and have absolutely been taking advantage of these things. We appreciate you genuinely quite helpful and also for finding varieties of very good subject matter most people are really desirous to understand about. My personal sincere regret for not saying thanks to earlier.
karrel688
# karrel688
Wednesday, January 1, 2020 5:20 PM
Incredible articles and awesome design. Your blog entry merits the greater part of the positive input it"s been getting. Self Assessment Tax Return
karrel688
# karrel688
Thursday, January 2, 2020 11:43 AM
It’s difficult to find knowledgeable individuals for this topic, nevertheless, you could be seen as do you know what you are talking about! Thanks filing my Self Assessment Tax Return
jofraarchera
# jofraarchera
Friday, January 3, 2020 7:43 AM
I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
karrel688
# karrel688
Monday, January 6, 2020 10:18 AM
I take in some new stuff from it as well, a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing your data. help with Self Assessment Tax Return
katie loxton bea backpack bag in black the bugs ear
Monday, January 6, 2020 5:06 PM
saint laurent monogram kate ysl monogram navy suede reversible logo blue leather shoulder bagborsa piccola in pelle intrecciatagirl diaper backpacklarge leather shopper tote bag orange
katie loxton bea backpack bag in black the bugs ear http://www.asra-music10.com/saranac/katie-loxton-bea-backpack-bag-in-black-the-bugs-ear
garment luggage hanging canvas weekend travel bag
Monday, January 6, 2020 10:24 PM
girls ivory floral bodice dress and bagsee by chloe womens eileen wedge boot wbeverly hills la flagship bridal shop winnie couturewomens mid rise bootcut paisley sky dark blue 18
garment luggage hanging canvas weekend travel bag http://www.teaveenews.com/gambier/garment-luggage-hanging-canvas-weekend-travel-bag
amna
# amna
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:31 PM
If you are able to get her to go along with this, post the location: I’m sure there are lots of Y!A users who’d like to read her stuff.cashmio
le coq sportif white leather sneakers
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 10:19 AM
boys long sleeve t shirt cat jack olivetommy hilfiger hilfiger new york mens t shirttommy hilfiger denim shorts splash black shortswomens outlet online fashion outlet womens clothing
le coq sportif white leather sneakers http://www.mejia4sweetwater.com/vesper/le-coq-sportif-white-leather-sneakers
focus鎵嬮尪浜屾墜鍍归將鍙婄媭娉?price浜屾墜璨疯常鍗€price.com.hk
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:52 PM
d铆v膷铆 boty superfit膷ern茅 leskl茅 lodi膷ky na vysok茅m podpatkunejlep拧铆 webov茅 str谩nky remonte ko啪en茅calvin klein melton k拧iltovka 拧ed谩
focus鎵嬮尪浜屾墜鍍归將鍙婄媭娉?price浜屾墜璨疯常鍗€price.com.hk http://www.bingpedia.com/tehama/focus%e6%89%8b%e9%8c%b6%e4%ba%8c%e6%89%8b%e5%83%b9%e9%8c%a2%e5%8f%8a%e7%8b%80%e6%b3%81-price%e4%ba%8c%e6%89%8b%e8%b2%b7%e8%b3%a3%e5%8d%80price.com.hk
讘讜讙专讬诐 诇讬讙讛 诇讗讜诪讬转 讘讻讚讜专住诇 诪讞讝讜专 17 讛驻讜注诇 讙诇讬诇 注诇讬讜谉 69
Friday, January 17, 2020 11:06 PM
hammer lady force white black purple womens bowling shoesokraydirect oversize fashion women short sleeved v neck letter printing t shirt white topsellen tracy womens sleeveless tunic top with keyhole neckline size xljuicy couture tan rare women hoodie short sleeve activewear size 8 63 off retail
讘讜讙专讬诐 诇讬讙讛 诇讗讜诪讬转 讘讻讚讜专住诇 诪讞讝讜专 17 讛驻讜注诇 讙诇讬诇 注诇讬讜谉 69 http://www.lamejormusicatop.com/thompson/%d7%91%d7%95%d7%92%d7%a8%d7%99%d7%9d-%d7%9c%d7%99%d7%92%d7%94-%d7%9c%d7%90%d7%95%d7%9e%d7%99%d7%aa-%d7%91%d7%9b%d7%93%d7%95%d7%a8%d7%a1%d7%9c-%d7%9e%d7%97%d7%96%d7%95%d7%a8-17-%d7%94%d7%a4%d7%95%d7%a2%d7%9c-%d7%92%d7%9c%d7%99%d7%9c-%d7%a2%d7%9c%d7%99%d7%95%d7%9f-69
robinjack
# robinjack
Saturday, January 18, 2020 6:55 AM
Good – I should certainly say I’m impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related info. The site ended up being truly easy to access. Good job… finding insurance credit card thief
robinjack
# robinjack
Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:35 AM
Good – I should certainly say I’m impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related info. The site ended up being truly easy to access. Good job… finding insurance password thief
ati
# ati
Saturday, January 18, 2020 9:17 AM
Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!
where to buy socks?
color splash alien head tattoo on leg calf
Monday, January 20, 2020 8:06 PM
philadelphia 76ers landry recent struggles cause for concern majestic houston astros white 2018 postseason home authentic flex base custom jersey predicted tottenham xi to face barcelona who starts for spurs arsenal puma third shirt from 2017 2018 last season . mens depop petition fiesta inspired uniforms for the san antonio spurs 2003 2004 arsenal nike goalkeeper shirt nike green soccer jersey or football kit template design for peru national football team. front and back joe greene pittsburgh steelers nike elite mens jersey lights out black
color splash alien head tattoo on leg calf http://www.cfliveapi.com/horns_lakearbor/color-splash-alien-head-tattoo-on-leg-calf
hp 940 ink cartridge cyan discontinued by manufacturer
Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:25 AM
acione l芒mpadas pela internet automa莽茫o residencial com arduino. filipeflop unze women crystal detailing fancy flip flop summer party evening wedding slipper best athletic shoe buying guide consumer reports lacoste nosara lcr spm dark red white u1 mens flip flop new pink adidas slides swarovski slides bedazzled adilette cloudfoam ultra custom make your own havaianas 2017 myoh2017 10 of 33 tommy hilfiger v neck sweater for boys estate blue tommy hilfiger footwear womens flats upc barcode
hp 940 ink cartridge cyan discontinued by manufacturer http://www.ajkerdarpan.com/lamona_welby/hp-940-ink-cartridge-cyan-discontinued-by-manufacturer
ati
# ati
Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:05 AM
You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Enter the code shown above in the box below