You are here:   Articles

Articles Lodging on the Santa Fe River, Alachua County, Florida

Minimize

The last day of March 2010 brought temperatures warm enough for a swim at sunset in the Santa Fe River. Our long, long, cold, cold winter finally seems to be over. It’s time to rake winter away and plant flowers. I was taking a look at the delicate and ephemeral white rain lily carpet across the river in the Suwannee River Water Management (SRWM) area, looking for patches of those tall, sturdy yellow daisy-clusters when I saw it: my dock.

Docks are nothing but trouble…well, not nothing, but in the flood plain of a volatile river most docks have problems.   So, I’ve never wanted a dock, but sometimes one comes floating by and I borrow it.
You see them as you boat by: docks broken loose, docks with trees on them, punctured pontoons holding docks askew, 4x4s in cement filled buckets holding up docks high and dry, docks rotten and falling into the water. If you can’t afford to build a really good metal or properly anchored dock…well, just wait until one floats by.

It’s spring here at the river. Wild cherry trees have broken into white blooms and sport red cardinals. Humming bird wings can be heard looking for nectar and for the feeders to be filled. One flew up to and circled me on my balcony chair, probably because of my red shirt. Our male otter braves the shoreline on his morning breakfast search. His splashes and the crunch of that little fish he caught disturb the mourning dove coos.

Our Santa Fe River reached a flood stage we can tolerate, because it didn’t cover the road or encroach into our houses this year. This was a flood that oozes up when the Suwannee pushes its waters back, even darkening the Ichetucknee for about a mile up. As the river drops, the fishing is good…leaves insects in the muck for the fish to eat near the shore…I guess. Maybe that’s why the otter comes up almost to the house morning and evening, like the fishermen who, in flood time, boat right beside our windows.

Sometimes the flood doesn’t ooze slowly up and drown your campfire while you’re sitting there watching, but it rages like the wind makes a tornado, furious and fast. That’s when the flood comes from the source somewhere far away like Georgia’s Okeefenokee. Those kinds of floods surprise us, and we come from the city to find our lawn furniture and boats swept downstream. That’s when the docks float by.

Other times we just get too much rain and the water rises like it fills a swimming pool or a bucket.

A flood can come up fast and go down fast, like filling a bath tub and pulling the plug…maybe six weeks from start, crest, to back in the banks. Or it can come up slowly, stay up high for nine months, then, just as slowly drain away. Those floods give you time to get your stuff out of the house, move your car you keep there just to pull your boat and trailer. These floods don’t scare you.

I’m no scientist, but that’s my observation living here on the river now for 15 years. At first, like in the big flood of ’98 that came slowly and lasted 9 months, we newcomers to the river panicked. We hired men and trailers to carry out our stuff and had sobs and notes of terror in our voices. But it was exciting. After we’ve been through five or six floods, we stop putting beds and refrigerators downstairs…well at least until a year later, when we forget the hassle of floods.

After about the tenth flood in a dozen years, we start putting out the “For Sale” sign when flood waters that covered the road have receded for several weeks. We live with the stench of drying muck, hose out the downstairs, repaint, and we’re tired. But then, we take down the signs two or three months later, because, living on the river is a way of life some of us like.

This flood of 2010 wasn’t so bad. Even though I’d left the boats untied and the lawn furniture in flood water’s way, they somehow stayed put. Asked to stay away to help another for the second winter month, I do remember asking someone to tie up the boats…I did think of that. I did receive a call too, from my only neighbor, while I was having lunch 3,000 miles away: “We’ve seen water gushing from your house now for a few days. Guess the pipes froze. Want us to go turn off the pump?”

I didn’t hear about the flood though, so I was surprised when I drove up to see water up to the wall of my house… not inside, mind you…just up to the wall. Dark flood waters obscure what’s underneath, unlike when the river’s in its banks and is translucent.  Then I can see shadows of fish on the bottom from my balcony above and beyond the river. I didn’t know if my furniture was under there or downriver somewhere, but I did know my dock was gone. I’d made a little bridge of it, since it was broken and in pieces. I did notice it wasn’t there.

One February day was warm enough to launch the kayak to survey just how far the Santa Fe had pushed its tanic waters into the Ichetucknee. I wasn’t looking for it, but as I passed the park, I did see part of my dock. Without leaving the Ponga, not the sleekest of kayaks, but maybe the most stable, and certainly the cheapest, I attached a rope to the 6’x2’ piece of dock. That day the gods were against me: the wind at my face and the current too, as an hour passed before I could tow that submerged piece of rotten wood back to my property.

This effort just proves that when you have something, you don’t want to lose it. Attachment is one of the causes of suffering, you and I both know. I never built a dock, but this one had floated by a few years ago and I nabbed it. All broken up and nasty, I felt obligated to use it somehow.

Two months after that rescue, as the Santa Fe is oozing back into its banks, like a balloon with a pin hole leaking out the air, I spy another piece of my floating dock. “Well, looky there,” I say to the dogs who always accompany me, one swimming beside and the other riding atop the hydrobike. “Wonder if I can get it back home.” Knowing it is mine because of the black and white nylon rope tied to the hole in it, which ties it to the tree, I tumped it end to end across the muck where the yellow and white spring flowers bloom, floated it across the slough, turned it end to end up the ridge to the river’s edge. Hydrobikes are useful flood boats. On top of the yellow pontoons you can put your dog, your cooler, your shovel, and yourself. From the end you can tow stuff, even a 4’x2’ piece of rotted wood turned with its edge against your way.
These days the gods are with me: why else would I spy my piece of dock lying where I never go except to look at the spring carpet of flowers. So, with the wind at my back and the sun in my face, and with relative ease, I retrieve something I don’t need, but which floated into my life. Now, I have to take care of it.

Post Rating

Comments

robinjack
# robinjack
Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:07 PM
Great website you got here! Yoo man great reads, post some more! Im gon come back so better have updated 카지노게임
nfl jerseys
Friday, November 15, 2019 6:50 AM
You made some first rate points there. I appeared on the web for the issue and found most individuals will go along with together with your website.
smith
# smith
Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:53 AM
I discovered your blog site on google and appearance a few of your early posts. Keep up the excellent operate. I simply extra the RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Looking for forward to reading more on your part later on!… betjuego
robinjack
# robinjack
Friday, November 22, 2019 9:02 PM
This is my first time visit here. From the huge amounts of remarks on your articles,I surmise I am not just one having all the delight right here! niche relevant blog comments
smith
# smith
Saturday, November 23, 2019 10:40 AM
This website is my aspiration , very wonderful pattern and perfect articles . paris en ligne
rosstaylor505
# rosstaylor505
Monday, November 25, 2019 1:25 PM
Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.
google keyword rank candidate
karrel688
# karrel688
Thursday, November 28, 2019 12:06 PM
Hi. I discovered your web journal utilizing msn. This is a to a great degree elegantly composed article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to peruse a greater amount of your valuable data. A debt of gratitude is in order for the post. I"ll surely rebound. Crawley Accountants
vans shoes
Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:03 PM
There is noticeably a bundle to learn about this. I assume you made sure good points in options also.
eliza
# eliza
Friday, November 29, 2019 2:21 PM
i was home schooled when i was still very young and i have to stay that it is also a great way to educate your kids,, freespins
karrel688
# karrel688
Saturday, November 30, 2019 11:52 AM
This article gives the light in which we can watch the truth. This is exceptionally pleasant one and gives indepth data. A debt of gratitude is in order for this decent article. Accountants Crawley
rc parts
Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:16 AM
GPM Racing #CRAOPCAR/ON-B Gpm Craniac Optional Onroad Rtr Blue for TRAXXAS CRANIAC
karrel688
# karrel688
Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:58 PM
You know your activities emerge of the group. There is something exceptional about them. It appears to me every one of them are truly splendid! Forest Row Accountants
goyard bags
Wednesday, December 4, 2019 9:05 AM
I抦 impressed, I have to say. Actually rarely do I encounter a blog that抯 each educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you might have hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the difficulty is something that not sufficient persons are speaking intelligently about. I'm very completely happy that I stumbled across this in my seek for something relating to this.
karrel688
# karrel688
Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:05 AM
I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to explore and compose so well. I am exceptionally awed with your vision and knowledge. Capital Gains Tax Advice
smith
# smith
Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:57 AM
You created some decent points there. I looked online for the issue and found most people may go as well as using your internet site. 18bet
robinjack
# robinjack
Sunday, December 8, 2019 6:58 AM
I want to start a blog but would like to own the domain. Any ideas how to go about this?. https://solidworks.prosoftstore.com/
karrel688
# karrel688
Monday, December 9, 2019 12:09 PM
i read a ton of stuff and i found that the method for composing to clearifing that precisely need to say was great so i am inspired and ilike to come back again in future.. Property Tax Advisor
traditional toys wholesale uk
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:21 AM
Decompression Top Toy Series 3 Leaf Fidget Spinner
robinjack
# robinjack
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:39 AM
What is the best computer virus remover?. My computer is slow as hell and freezes on me. Most of the time, I have to restart my computer. I think I may have a virus on my computer. What is the best software to remove the viruses of my computer?. flooring watertown ma
賲丨賱丕 賵賲 丕噩乇 賮爻丕 賷賳 丕賱夭賮丕賮 賵丕賱禺胤賵亘丞 賮賷 丕賱丕爻賰賳丿乇賷丞 zafaf.net
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 11:57 PM
wikkamedi nederdel i gul fra by malene birger k酶b dinchildrens super trooper boots sko sort sorelsamtalsgrupp att ha ett barn 0 6 氓r medherret酶j jakkes忙t
賲丨賱丕 賵賲 丕噩乇 賮爻丕 賷賳 丕賱夭賮丕賮 賵丕賱禺胤賵亘丞 賮賷 丕賱丕爻賰賳丿乇賷丞 zafaf.net http://www.procars-clean.com/andrew/%d9%85%d8%ad%d9%84%d8%a7-%d9%88%d9%85-%d8%a7%d8%ac%d8%b1-%d9%81%d8%b3%d8%a7-%d9%8a%d9%86-%d8%a7%d9%84%d8%b2%d9%81%d8%a7%d9%81-%d9%88%d8%a7%d9%84%d8%ae%d8%b7%d9%88%d8%a8%d8%a9-%d9%81%d9%8a-%d8%a7%d9%84%d8%a7%d8%b3%d9%83%d9%86%d8%af%d8%b1%d9%8a%d8%a9-zafaf.net
charvet graphic pattern silk tie. for sale in atherton
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 7:12 AM
mbt boots canadabuy second hand watches uksneaker adidas stan smith rawmakerymens nike swoosh fleece hoodie
charvet graphic pattern silk tie. for sale in atherton http://www.kocaelihabergazetesi.com/brucetown/charvet-graphic-pattern-silk-tie.-for-sale-in-atherton
white leather tights
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 11:00 PM
nike romaleos heel heightbuy gold grillzsquare garbage can with lidflip flops made from yoga mats
white leather tights http://www.ani119tv1.com/veguita/white-leather-tights
chicago blackhawks 7 brent seabrook 2019 winter classic
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 11:31 PM
reebok workout ripple og 3am 膷ern谩 reebok czkam s de钮mi dar膷ek od mikul谩拧ad谩msk媒 batoh zwei olli o12 grafitov媒d谩msk谩 saka 2 110 kousk暖
chicago blackhawks 7 brent seabrook 2019 winter classic http://www.mediapst.com/ardmore/chicago-blackhawks-7-brent-seabrook-2019-winter-classic
Kris Thorkelson
Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:48 AM
Owner of My Place Realty Kris Thorkelson says the key to retaining a good team begins with servant leadership. “You have to take care of your team before you take care of yourself.
Thursday, December 12, 2019 12:34 PM
deportivas sport de ni帽a nike 907256 602 color rosadetails zu anillo acero inoxidable hombre 谩guila alemana sello cruz de hierropeluche kisses oso caf茅comprar refresh botas abby camel various designs
teleyi cycling jersey women breathable long sleeve bicycle jerseys ropa ciclismo mujer sportswear bike quick dry http://www.suchanarakhabar.com/graycourt/teleyi-cycling-jersey-women-breathable-long-sleeve-bicycle-jerseys-ropa-ciclismo-mujer-sportswear-bike-quick-dry
讗讬诪讜谉 讙讜驻谞讬 诪讘讚拽讬 诪讗诪抓 physical training exercise
Saturday, December 14, 2019 1:32 PM
comparison for 1899089 2605089卸懈谢械褌泻邪 卸械薪褋泻邪褟abiti da sera prodotti di 1397 marcheall white crop top and skirt set
讗讬诪讜谉 讙讜驻谞讬 诪讘讚拽讬 诪讗诪抓 physical training exercise http://www.zentrumdergesundheit-24.com/barney/%d7%90%d7%99%d7%9e%d7%95%d7%9f-%d7%92%d7%95%d7%a4%d7%a0%d7%99-%d7%9e%d7%91%d7%93%d7%a7%d7%99-%d7%9e%d7%90%d7%9e%d7%a5-physical-training-exercise
zapato nike tenis court air zoom zero martimx mart铆
Sunday, December 15, 2019 8:59 AM
robe mari茅e espagnolepull tunique cachemirevetement sympa pas chermanteau gris femme asos
zapato nike tenis court air zoom zero martimx mart铆 http://www.larabiamusical.com/collinsburg/zapato-nike-tenis-court-air-zoom-zero-martimx-mart%c3%ad
cm239136
Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:48 AM
My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more!
facebook
coach outlet
Sunday, December 22, 2019 6:54 PM
I have to express my appreciation to the writer for bailing me out of this setting. Because of scouting throughout the the web and seeing notions which are not helpful, I believed my entire life was gone. Being alive devoid of the answers to the problems you have solved by way of this posting is a critical case, and ones which could have in a wrong way damaged my career if I had not noticed your web page. That competence and kindness in maneuvering all areas was useful. I'm not sure what I would've done if I hadn't discovered such a thing like this. I'm able to at this time look ahead to my future. Thanks for your time so much for the reliable and results-oriented guide. I will not think twice to suggest the blog to anybody who requires guidelines on this subject matter.
Fitness health forever
Monday, December 23, 2019 12:14 PM
Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
lose weight with exercise at home

canada goose jacket
Thursday, December 26, 2019 10:35 PM
I as well as my friends have been reading through the best guides on your web blog and so then developed a terrible suspicion I had not expressed respect to the web blog owner for those secrets. All of the ladies appeared to be totally happy to see them and now have really been loving those things. Thank you for genuinely so kind and also for picking out these kinds of helpful information most people are really desirous to understand about. My personal sincere regret for not saying thanks to sooner.
gorro under armour sc30 core 2.0 moov
Friday, December 27, 2019 7:54 AM
http://www.rnn24.com/tickfaw/knot-mule-sneakers-whiteknot mule sneakers white
gorro under armour sc30 core 2.0 moov http://www.dreambiginvest.com/closter/gorro-under-armour-sc30-core-2.0-moov
karrel688
# karrel688
Saturday, December 28, 2019 9:32 AM
Much appreciated such a great amount for sharing this amazing information! I am anticipating see more postsby you! Self Assessment Tax Return Accountants
sean lee jersey penn state nittany lions college football
Saturday, December 28, 2019 1:38 PM
a history of adventure belstaffu14 elite sessions elite soccer training elite soccererrea lennox shirt new skin shorts setadidas euro 16 spain limited edition collectors shirt scarlet white
sean lee jersey penn state nittany lions college football http://www.bersports.com/wesleyhills/sean-lee-jersey-penn-state-nittany-lions-college-football
karrel688
# karrel688
Sunday, December 29, 2019 12:03 PM
Decent post. I was checking always this online journal and I'm inspired! To a great degree helpful data uncommonly the last part I watch over such data a considerable measure. I was looking for this sure data for quite a while. Much obliged to you and good fortunes. Self Assessment Tax Return Accounts
robinjack
# robinjack
Monday, December 30, 2019 6:43 AM
I am so grateful for this post and thanks such a lot for sharing it with us. complete seo services
robinjack
# robinjack
Wednesday, January 1, 2020 10:42 AM
With our monetary system at a local absolutely is, I am choosing to make information on filing for jobless bonuses. This inspiration were to illustrate how our jobless machine works, what is the fixed will be taking and rejecting professes, immediately after which add books within my own engagement ring information in what the supreme maneuvers in addition very common goof ups are typically submitting redundancy elements. Continue
karrel688
# karrel688
Wednesday, January 1, 2020 5:17 PM
This sort of message continually moving and I like to peruse quality substance, so upbeat to discover great spot to numerous here in the post, the composition is simply awesome, a debt of gratitude is in order for the post. Self Assessment Tax Return
jofraarchera
# jofraarchera
Thursday, January 2, 2020 6:55 AM
karrel688
# karrel688
Thursday, January 2, 2020 11:41 AM
There are a few fascinating time limits here however I don’t determine if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity however I most certainly will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and now we want extra! Put into FeedBurner as properly filing my Self Assessment Tax Return
robinjack
# robinjack
Saturday, January 4, 2020 9:48 AM

Emotional attention, self-control, approval, adhere to, patience but also security. These are typically among the issues that Tang Soo Can do, most of the Thai martial art attached to self defense purposes, can show buyers plus instilling in your soul the means not just to maintain with your own eyes on the competency on the very first real danger stains to cure confrontation all in all. you could check here
timberland timberland somers falls chelsea boot womens
Sunday, January 5, 2020 3:47 PM
listed on depop by rushe12lacoste s carnaby evo s pink off white debossed metaldiscount code for adidas superstar silver portugalclarks candra glare metal shoes ballerinas women 488424
timberland timberland somers falls chelsea boot womens http://www.comunidadedeusexiste.com/oceanshores/timberland-timberland-somers-falls-chelsea-boot-womens
karrel688
# karrel688
Monday, January 6, 2020 10:16 AM
This is only the data I am discovering all around. A debt of gratitude is in order for your website, I simply subscribe your web journal. This is a decent blog.. help with Self Assessment Tax Return
heryford sales sale boots men for sale at aldo shoes
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:39 PM
gucci gg0106s 004 56 geometric sunglassesgucci goat hair loafers cheap outletcasual luxury gucci gucci logo t shirt with mystic catgucci red collar shirt cheap outlet
heryford sales sale boots men for sale at aldo shoes http://www.huzsafety.com/boykin/heryford-sales-sale-boots-men-for-sale-at-aldo-shoes
ati
# ati
Saturday, January 11, 2020 10:24 AM
I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
What is the purpose of wearing socks?
tenisice Nike Shox hr
Saturday, January 11, 2020 7:31 PM
tenisice Jordan 13 hr
tenisice Nike Shox hr http://www.ammansport.com/2019-11-07/tenisice-Nike-Shox-hr
kvaliteta znakova sigurnosti i za拧titi zdravlja na
Sunday, January 12, 2020 12:25 AM
bota mercurial superfly sg pro acc volt hyper pink blackdie mannschaft germany national football team wallpapershop for adidas originals orange kids online at freemanscolorado youth soccer t shirt
kvaliteta znakova sigurnosti i za拧titi zdravlja na http://www.termpaperclass.com/stobo/kvaliteta-znakova-sigurnosti-i-za%c5%a1titi-zdravlja-na
chopard mens schb76 schb 76 fashion rectangle sunglasses
Monday, January 13, 2020 11:31 AM
pin on designer women bagssalvatore ferragamo marisa xl shoulder bag catawikiice cream printgift bag tags etsy
chopard mens schb76 schb 76 fashion rectangle sunglasses http://www.darknessship.com/weigelstown/chopard-mens-schb76-schb-76-fashion-rectangle-sunglasses
dolce gabbana foulard a fiori stile casual sciarpe
Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:20 AM
onde comprar roupas plus sizeesquadrias jurunense materiais de constru莽茫oporta toalha para bancada em a莽o inox polido com vidro preto duconmc tchesko vestidos saias feminino vestidos femeninos
dolce gabbana foulard a fiori stile casual sciarpe http://www.moodmak.com/creal/dolce-gabbana-foulard-a-fiori-stile-casual-sciarpe
ati
# ati
Thursday, January 16, 2020 7:12 AM
Hi I found your site by mistake when i was searching yahoo for this acne issue, I must say your site is really helpful I also love the design, its amazing!. I don’t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.
men`s socks
robinjack
# robinjack
Saturday, January 18, 2020 6:55 AM
I am crazy about this blog. I have visit so many time to this blog. I have found this blog from Google. I have received a bunch of information. I really appreciate to meet to it and i emphasize to this blog. My curiosity to learn more and more on this blog. credit card thief
robinjack
# robinjack
Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:36 AM
I am crazy about this blog. I have visit so many time to this blog. I have found this blog from Google. I have received a bunch of information. I really appreciate to meet to it and i emphasize to this blog. My curiosity to learn more and more on this blog. password thief
ssss

اسعار جبس بورد للجدران
محلات الجبس بورد في الرياض
اسقف معلقة الرياض
ديكورات جبس بالرياض

CHARITY
Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:42 AM
want a lot info about casino and baccarat site? visit us now !!! link below https://hpx7.com 바카라 사이트

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Enter the code shown above in the box below