You are here:   Articles

Articles Lodging on the Santa Fe River, Alachua County, Florida

Minimize

Wildlife on the Ichetucknee

As usual, I take my coffee to sit beside the Ichetucknee early in the morning. I am alone with the clear water, fish, and whatever wildlife decides to show itself. I sit quietly sipping, watching for movement, waiting.

June 27 I turned my head upstream. “What are you doing here?” I ask a small raccoon who seems to be tiptoeing toward me on its long, thin legs. It's ambling along innocently before its eyes meet mine. It rises on hind legs, sniffs, when it notices me. Not so abruptly, as something seems not quite right with this little fellow, it turns and rather limps into the sparse woods along the river. The raccoon is weak, maybe sick. Of course we are trained to think any time a raccoon acts unusually, like being out in the morning, or walks like a drunk animal, maybe it has rabies. I wonder. I also wonder what other infirmities wild animals may have which are not dangerous to us. This little creature did nothing to threaten me. No doctor comes to see what's wrong.

Sitting alone again, I hear a rustle in the deeper woods downstream. Like a group of boys, headed on an adventure come three dogs. I notice a collar on at least one of these meaty animals. One is a beefy bulldog type, another a curly haired herder, and the last a black lab type. The lead dog sees me, turns and walks back into the woods, but the black labish one gallops away. Five minutes later I notice two of them swimming across the Ichetucknee.

Back at the house, sitting immobile on the side deck, I watch each tiny striped kitten try to sneak by me and its menacing hissing aunt, Fluffy. The tiny little blue eyes barely see over the steps as each one cautiously creeps up the stairs. Can it conquer the fear of both the big monster in the chair and the hissing feline relative? Each one races down the stairs to the landing, sits, then looks again. Eventually hunger overcomes fear of capture or reprimand, as it squeezes between its gluttonous grandma, aunts, and uncle at the feeding plate. Cinnamese is the kindness, or at least the least aggressive towards the little ones. Even Princess, the mama, pays absolutely no attention to her own little ones, nor does Grandma. Princess is painfully thin, selfish for her own food, hisses even at the hand that feeds her. Feral cats are selfish, demonstrating that selfishness may be necessary for survival.

I notice a hawk sitting on the leafless cypress limb by the river more often than ever. I do see it careen through the limbs onto the maples closer to the house. Feral kittens have reason to be cautious and be fearful. After all, I plan to trap them after I make them trust me.

Post Rating

Comments

calcinha de biqu铆ni com faixa nas laterais franzidas estampada
Friday, November 1, 2019 10:54 AM
gucci bree guccissima crossbodygucci gucci leopard print silk dress in natural lystgucci gucci guilty intense eau de parfum spray for womenblack leather with black plexiglas 223891 fu49x 1000
calcinha de biqu铆ni com faixa nas laterais franzidas estampada http://www.validenews.com/hartwell/calcinha-de-biqu%c3%adni-com-faixa-nas-laterais-franzidas-estampada
furnished apartments for rent in denver co
Saturday, November 2, 2019 2:45 AM
faixa abdominal na gesta莽茫o para que serve m茫e que se cuidamascara de dormir gatinhoconjunto roupa infantil unic贸rnio saia tutu fantasia luxomacac茫o laura preto
furnished apartments for rent in denver co http://www.jetofnews.com/kosse/furnished-apartments-for-rent-in-denver-co
camel active herren check 12 biker boots
Sunday, November 3, 2019 12:11 PM
reduzierte xxl r枚cke bis 20 im online outlet kaufenverkauf von lederimitat textil anna field klassische ballerinaetuikleider online shopping t shirtstolles schwarzes kleid
camel active herren check 12 biker boots http://www.proibweb.com/redchute/camel-active-herren-check-12-biker-boots
Pro-Ana Bracelet
Monday, November 4, 2019 5:36 AM
If you aren’t thin you aren’t attractive
Avast Login
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:11 AM
Avast Login Account comes with a simple and easy user interface. The great thing about Avast Login Account is to manage multiple devices from a single portal. In case if you are a registered Avast product on multiple devices using multiple email addresses, you can pair these devices and email addresses to your account.
Office.com/setup
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:12 AM
Office.com/setup - MS Office is the most versatile productivity tool that comes in several flavors. This variety has been evolved over time to cater to different end-users and computing scenes. However, the original, desktop version still remains the most widely used and known variant.
Webroot.com/safe
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:12 AM
Webroot.com/safe can protect your devices from slowing down performance, erratic computer behavior, frequent computer crashes or unexpected data loss. Webroot antivirus is a great option.
AOL Mail
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:13 AM
AOL Mail works magnificently and it is a good choice to make. It gives continual access with its mobile application. It has everything you need for your business and personal use. It gives unlimited storage.
MyDrive Connect
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:13 AM
MyDrive Connect is user-friendly interface and it comes with intuitive controls, so you can use it without any big effort. It can be installed under a minute and with easy settings. MyDriveConnect does not require any special drivers, expect continuous high-speed internet connection.
Magellan GPS Update
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:14 AM
Magellan GPS Update is easily available for installation on a free software application. However, another key point to remember is that only a few of these updates are available for free. But, you must purchase most of them.
Bitdefender Central
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:18 AM
Es ist zwar wahr, dass Browser-Probleme Ihren Zugriff auf Ihr Bitdefender Central Konto einschränken können. Das häufigste Problem er gibt sich jedoch aus der Eingabe einer falschen E-Mail-ID oder eines falschen Passworts.
Webroot removal tool
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:19 AM
Webroot Removal Tool - Facing issues while Reinstalling your SecureAnywhere Webroot, learn how you can remove your Webroot Antivirus from your devices.
Garmin.com/express
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:19 AM
You can use Garmin Express on your Windows and Mac system and easily update your Garmin device. To make your work easier, we have provided a complete guide of garmin.com/express.
TurboTax Support
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:20 AM
Customers are the king of the market. After-sales TurboTax Support professionals plays a vital role in providing customer satisfaction and their retention for long term. Support services help in strengthening the bond between the organization and customers.
energy comparsion sites
Wednesday, November 6, 2019 12:13 PM
I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.
payday
Saturday, November 9, 2019 7:48 AM
America Gun Ban Home, Syndicated by Countrymen Your News Source Worldwide. Removing the stink from Gun Control and being a Patriot.
wdqojwo
Monday, November 11, 2019 9:10 AM
Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more home cleaning new york phoenix windshield replacement cash back
Jhon Kenedy
Tuesday, November 12, 2019 6:39 AM
Its such a great blog where you can find all the information. You can also check my beautiful stationery blog Tally Books, Hardcover Journal, Leather Journals, Custom Notebooks, Custom Journals, Prayer Journals, Legal Pads, Personalized Leather Journal, Custom Journal Printing which you can buy online from the best graduation products suppliers of the USA.
chair upholstery dubai
Friday, November 15, 2019 10:16 AM
I am undeniably benefiting as much as possible from your site. You undeniably have some unprecedented information and unimaginable stories. chair upholstery dubai
mtom
# mtom
Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:50 AM
Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read something such as this before. So nice to find somebody with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy appreciation for starting this up. this website can be something that’s needed on the net, somebody with a bit of bit originality. helpful purpose of bringing new stuff towards the web! Men’s haircuts midtown
robinjack
# robinjack
Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:40 PM
Deference to op , some superb entropy. 바카라사이트주소
robinjack
# robinjack
Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:09 AM
You completed a number of nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found nearly all people will have the same opinion with your blog. this contact form
smith
# smith
Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:52 AM
Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that. 32red

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Enter the code shown above in the box below