You are here:   Articles

Articles Lodging on the Santa Fe River, Alachua County, Florida

Minimize

Algae Bloom on Ichetucknee and Santa Fe Rivers

July 2011

What I see and what I report in the Santa Fe and Ichetucknee Rivers is purely observation and hearsay, not science.

I swim with snorkel and mask maybe a quarter mile up or down my routine watery Ichetucknee path in deep and in shallow waters. Depending on the depth, the current's speed varies. When the flow is slow, the water deep, swimming in the river is like swimming in a lake, so little is the current. Also, after a flood, the water is dark. Especially near the confluence, the Santa Fe's darker, warmer waters invade the Ichetucknee. As the sediment stirred up by flooding settles and the water clears, I can see clearly what's growing and swimming in the rivers.

Since the Spring of 2011, for several months I've been sickened and disillusioned about the verdant tentacles streaming down the two rivers where I swim daily. Angered and uninformed, I considered the invasion of this unusual plant the result of pollution from our septic tanks and fertilizers. But a recent discussion, purely hearsay, may prove that I'm observing a phenomonon that occurs during extreme drought and hot weather.

To digress, for most of the 16 years since I first moved to my historic cabin, snorkeling in that last quarter mile of our baptismal waters resembled being submerged in an well balanced aquarium. How we think it'll always be this way. Daily I'd pull on my flippers and mask to swim against the current up to the big cypress tree, then turn, letting the swift current carry me back. I'd laugh telling others about the menacing bowfin as long as my leg with three ripples to it's snake-like, finned back. Out of the eelgrass he'd plunge, as I approached, jaw open with serpent eyes glaring, threatening me to dare to intrude into his lair. I did back away.

Slim fish with black stripes along their greenish bodies, bass, as well at smaller, rounder ones with a spot on their bellies, red bellies or sunnies, minnows who nipped my legs and arms, guppies, 20 and 30 mullet in schools, and other varieties I can't name greeted me daily as I swam and floated. Eel grass, as well as many other varieties of underwater greenery, provided hiding places for these fish as well as turtles, crayfish, and snails. The Ichetucknee seemed healthy and thriving. I took it all for granted; it's the Ichetucknee, after all: our springs are paradisial, and my Ichetucknee is a watery Eden.

The dark waters of a brief flood in the Spring of 2009 changed the character of the lower Ichetucknee. After months of deep, dark water, when the river cleared, no plant life at all grew. Only a scattered fish swam, as I did, bereft of the pleasure of nature's abundance.

For more than a year after our last high waters, the bottom of the Ichetucknee, near the confluence with the Santa Fe, became plantless. White sands and rocky outcroppings seemed scoured of any vegetation at all. Sometime the spring of 2011, I began to notice tiny sprouts in the sand, and I gained hope. Nature can sustain itself; it can recover. Gradually over the months into summer, most of the familiar vegetation did recover, but the Ichetucknee level dropped lower and lower. The temperatures were high in June, with only one rain a month since March.

Gradually in came this deep yellow green stringy algae, I guess it is. As one who hasn't felt a snake, the snake skin and the algae look like it would feel slimy, but we know by touching the skin of a snake, it is soft, smooth, like a good leather. So too is this stringy algae, if that's what it is. The green slimy looking plants are not slimy at all, but the texture of cotton or ferns. Just as Spanish moss attaches to tree limbs, the algae tentacles attach to rocks and plants, or to whatever is in the spring or river. The green tentacles drape themselves around every obstacle as the stream runs. At first inches long, as the summer progresses, individual plants may be three or four feet long, yards long, covering every other plant, every rock, and even will twist around your leg or arm as you swim or walk along the stream.

Seldom do I see the schools of mullet, a bass, or a sunny as the Ichetucknee and Santa Fe are that low. With the algae multiplying, it seems the entire spring may become a meadow. As I glide in the swift, shallow spring my quarter mile path, I can't help grabbing strands of this invasive green plant. Futile as my attempts to pull it out, set it free to float out to the Gulf, I can't resist the effort.

Upstream, in the Ichetucknee State Park, rangers and volunteers pulled every little seedling, every clump of water lettuce from the Spring. Although a recent study by Jason Evans indicates that water lettuce is a strainer of pollutants, old ideas hold on. Only an observer, not a scientist, I always wonder about what I see and hear. I leave it to the "experts" to draw conclusions beyond my observations over my short duration on the river. Could water lettuce have prevented the algae bloom?

I give up, relaxing into cooling off on these extreme heat days, standing for 30 minutes in the spring allowing the heat to dissipate from my hot body into the cool waters. I feel sad about no fish and stringy green stuff taking over my river.

One day I see surveyors sighting with their instruments at the entrance to our little Point Park. When I stop to inquire, learning that a private company is measuring the minimum flow of the Santa Fe through these measurements on land, I ask about the green stringy stuff in the Ichetucknee. An old timer, not a scientist either, tells me these hot, low-water conditions create the algae bloom. No one can stop it; it's too big. He says he's seen it before in the Santa Fe and Suwannee. He claims that all of a sudden, some day the plant will let go, pop up and float away.

What a refreshing idea; it's like hearing from a Native American who observes these things and passes knowledge from generation to generation. I hope he's right, and I hope I get to see this intruder leave my river. I'll tell you if it happens.

To my great pleasure, now in October, most of the stringy algae has left the river.  Remaining are the familiar eel grass and other underwater vegetation where fish and snails hide.

Just as my swimming pool in town needs less and less chemicals to prevent yellow and green growth on the sides, so autumn's cooler temperatures have rid our rivers of that green intruder.

Post Rating

Comments

rosstaylor505
# rosstaylor505
Monday, November 4, 2019 10:16 AM
Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it.
best traffic source for affiliate link
robinjack
# robinjack
Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:07 PM
Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is just cool and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work. insurance guides 카지노사이트주소추천
yeezy shoes
Friday, November 15, 2019 4:57 AM
An interesting dialogue is value comment. I feel that you need to write extra on this topic, it won't be a taboo subject however generally individuals are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers
smith
# smith
Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:50 AM
I dont think Ive read anything like this before. So good to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. nice one for starting this up. This site is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. Good job for bringing something new to the internet! betjuego
smith
# smith
Saturday, November 23, 2019 10:39 AM
This web page is known as a stroll-by for all the information you wished about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and you’ll positively discover it. paris en ligne
rosstaylor505
# rosstaylor505
Monday, November 25, 2019 7:40 AM
Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.
파워볼사이트
eliza
# eliza
Friday, November 29, 2019 1:34 PM
I’m impressed, I have to admit. Truly rarely should i encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you might have hit the nail around the head. Your concept is outstanding; the catch is something not enough consumers are speaking intelligently about. We’re delighted i stumbled across this inside my find some thing regarding this. unibet
nike foamposite
Monday, December 2, 2019 7:56 AM
I抦 impressed, I need to say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a blog that抯 both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you may have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is outstanding; the problem is one thing that not sufficient individuals are talking intelligently about. I'm very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for one thing relating to this.
rc parts
Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:27 AM
3Racing #SAK-49/21575 Damper Spring M1.5 x 21 (5.75) For 3Racing Sakura Zero for 3Racing All
smith
# smith
Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:17 PM
I think other site proprietors should take this web site as an model – very clean and wonderful style and design, in addition to the content. You’re an expert in this area! 18bet
robinjack
# robinjack
Sunday, December 8, 2019 6:59 AM
Thank you for writing this tremendous top quality article. The information in this material confirms my point of view and you really laid it out well. I could never have written an article this good. https://cad.cheapsoftwaredownload.net/
okulary w internecie kupowa膰 czy nie ghosteye radek
Monday, December 9, 2019 8:15 AM
buty adidas originals swift run cq2115 szary opinie i cenakup aparat lumix dmcted lapidus zegarek z dodatkimarie lund anthrazit gestreift kobiety tastefully akcesoria
okulary w internecie kupowa膰 czy nie ghosteye radek http://www.mersiniz.com/careywood/okulary-w-internecie-kupowa%c4%87-czy-nie-ghosteye-radek
robinjack
# robinjack
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:39 AM
I’m glad I found your article. I would never have made sense of this topic on my own. I’ve read a few other articles on this subject, but I was confused until I read yours. commercial floor refinishing
paul smith junior baby girls chambray dress with ladybugs
Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:10 AM
paul smith mens swimsuits shopstylepaul smith sequin tuxedo jacket womensbnwt mens paul smith london the mainline 2018 edition babypaul smith black chunky jumper ladies
paul smith junior baby girls chambray dress with ladybugs http://www.andy1stbirmingham.co.uk/jackstown/paul-smith-junior-baby-girls-chambray-dress-with-ladybugs
cm239136
Thursday, December 12, 2019 10:18 AM
Hey, great blog, but I don’t understand how to add your site in my reader. Can you Help me please?
facebook
驻讜诇讬住讛 诇讘讬讟讜讞 谞讜住注讬诐 诇讞讜抓 诇讗专抓
Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:39 PM
timberland m忙nd pro overlay l忙rred work pant tin tilbudsolgt liberty baby senget酶j bettyppouline top bluebirddukke senget酶j fra smallstuff 酶kologisk blomstret
驻讜诇讬住讛 诇讘讬讟讜讞 谞讜住注讬诐 诇讞讜抓 诇讗专抓 http://www.sroalexandria.com/beloit/%d7%a4%d7%95%d7%9c%d7%99%d7%a1%d7%94-%d7%9c%d7%91%d7%99%d7%98%d7%95%d7%97-%d7%a0%d7%95%d7%a1%d7%a2%d7%99%d7%9d-%d7%9c%d7%97%d7%95%d7%a5-%d7%9c%d7%90%d7%a8%d7%a5
paloma wool blue emilia oak curved heel ankle boots
Friday, December 13, 2019 7:47 AM
lebron 15 black gum bottom nikelebronpuma shoes original price listpuma targetkobe 9 elite gold for sale
paloma wool blue emilia oak curved heel ankle boots http://www.iranbtc.net/oregoncity/paloma-wool-blue-emilia-oak-curved-heel-ankle-boots

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Enter the code shown above in the box below